Monday, March 13, 2006

McKeon Gets 1st Look at New Marlins; Marlins Lose to Orioles

"'This is Joe's team,' McKeon said. 'I'm from the old school. I don't like going in people's clubhouses, even when I was general manager. That's the manager's domain. ... If he wants anything, I'll be glad to help him.'" (SI.Com)

MORE: Jack also wondering where Jeffrey's few "good fans" went...

"'I feel sorry for the fans in this area, because eventually when they don't have baseball, they are going to go back and realize that maybe they should have gotten on the politicians a little bit and pushed them a little harder,' McKeon said....

"'I know sometimes Jeffrey gets criticized by some people, but I know deep inside since I've been with him that he has always wanted to keep this club in Florida,' McKeon said. "That was his intention, to build a tradition here in Florida. But I understand the situation, he needs a stadium.'

"After the Marlins won their second World Series championship in 2003, McKeon felt there was enough public interest stirred up to get a stadium deal done.

"'I thought for sure after we revitalized the area, and the enthusiasm,' McKeon said.

"Other markets have come through using a combination of public and private money to build stadiums. McKeon points out how Indianapolis is completing a $500 million project for a new football stadium after upgrading its Triple-A stadium.

"' You say, 'Hey, these people are on the ball. They realize the economic value of a professional franchise,' McKeon said." (MLB)

No comments: