Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Notes on Selig Visit

- Bud did not talk deadlines, but patience. '"I don't have any deadlines," Selig said on how quickly the Marlins' talks can be resolved. "There is a practical problem that needs to be settled"'...'"We have built 23 new stadiums, so I understand sometimes patience is required even when it's not enjoyed."'

- Bud said 'we' built those stadiums, but 'we' did it without MLB money, and that's what he still wants. 'Selig, whose visit marked the first time he has met with local politicians in South Florida, said MLB would not contribute to stadium financing because "we've never done that. Everyone has their own problems."'

- Bud said he believes in the market - "If I didn't feel South Florida was a market you could compete in with the right stadium, I frankly wouldn't be here today,"

- But Bud didn't promise the Marlins would stay - "I feel that things were so constructive I want to leave it at that."

- Bud didn't promise an All-Star game in a new stadium - "I have so many cities wanting [one], I don't want to make my life more difficult."

- The big news of the visit? County Commission Chairman Bruno Barreiro saying that MLB is "fine with the Orange Bowl site", and that Loria said the OB site was "acceptable."

- And it's still the moon's doing.

(MiamiHerald)(SunSentinel)(MLB)

No comments: