Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Old Player/Broadcasters Talk About Marlins Fans, Stadium Hopes

Tommy Hutton: "Don't get me wrong: It's flattering to have so many people know who you are,...But it's frustrating, too...because that means nobody goes to the games. And as great as it is to have so many people tuning in, as wonderful as it is to get the television ratings we've been getting, you'd much rather see those people at the ballpark...I think that will change if we can get a new, retractable-roof ballpark built...I think we have a better chance of getting a ballpark in South Florida than in any of the other cities that have been talked about. Charlotte, San Antonio, Las Vegas . . . None of those other places have the population or the TV market of South Florida."

Gary Carter: "Obviously, they've won two world championships without their own stadium, so they can survive there...But if you're looking at the long term, a new stadium would be much more beneficial...I can't understand why they can't find a location...I thought the area next to where the (Florida) Panthers play was ideal...I don't know if they'd do well in the city of Miami."

Jim Kaat: "I always thought a franchise would do better in a place like Jacksonville or Orlando, where they could get the corporate support they needed...But if they're going to make it down south, they're going to need a ballpark with some type of dome. I don't see how they can survive without one. And, really, they ought to be looking closer to Palm Beach County." (TCPalm)

No comments: