Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Tales of Sir Guillen (and His Adventures With Marlins, the Magicians)

Sir Guillen Finds His Soul Mate ----- "'I still remember walking into that first clubhouse with Ozzie,' Torborg said. 'How young he looked, how little he looked. He was real thin, but he was so bright.'"(SunSentinel)


Sir Guillen Faces Tests of Honour on the Field of Battle ----- "You wouldn't think coaching third base is a dangerous job. But try doing it for the Florida Marlins in their own park with a crowd so small the guys in the upper deck betting $5s and $10s on whether the guy on second can score on a hit can talk directly with those on the field.

"'Hey Ozzie,' they'd yell at Ozzie Guillen while waving a fistful of bills. 'You send him.'

"Guillen would nod.

"Of course, there were others waving a fistful of singles telling Guillen to hold him.

"Guillen would nod.

"'It's dangerous down there,' Guillen said. 'I'm afraid to turn my back on those guys.'

"Then he laughed." (BradentonHerald)


Sir Guillen Gets His Ring ----- "I got an Atlanta Braves National League championship ring. When I went with the Marlins (2003 world champions), I didn't see that ring anymore. There's only one that counts. I wear it every day of my life. I feel proud to do it." (NWTimesOnline)


Sir Guillen Suffers Ultimate Disillusionment ----- "Baseball doesn't care about people. Ask (ex-Florida Marlins manager) Jack McKeon. He's a genius . . . and they kicked his (bleep) out of there in a hurry." (Sj-r.com)

No comments: