Thursday, October 18, 2007

McKeon on Short-Resting Beckett in 2003 Postseason

'"I had to make my choice. Deep down, I wanted the guy who could be dominating. I wanted the guy who could overpower these Yankees hitters. I didn't think Redman could do it."

'A few days before it became public that Beckett was pitching Game 6, McKeon sat his young star down and asked how he felt.

'"It all came about when I called him in that day," McKeon said. "I said, 'How do you feel? I'm thinking about pitching you on three days' rest.' He said, 'Let me go out and throw a little bit.' He went out and threw a little bullpen [session], and then he came in and said, 'I'm ready.' That was all I needed."....

'"You know, no one brings up the point that Pettitte pitched on three days' rest and beat us, 6-1, in Game 2," McKeon said. "Guys like Josh just relished the opportunity to pitch. We didn't even think about pitching him on three days' rest."' (MLB)

No comments: