Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Blogger.com Considers This Site a 'Spam Blog'

"Blogger's spam-prevention robots have detected that your blog has characteristics of a spam blog....Since you're an actual person reading this, your blog is probably not a spam blog. Automated spam detection is inherently fuzzy, and we sincerely apologize for this false positive."

But how can they confuse me with a spam blog?

"Spam blogs...can be recognized by their irrelevant, repetitive, or nonsensical text, along with a large number of links..."

Oh....

2 comments:

Mike said...

Isn't their definition of a spam blog pretty consistent with the definition of a legitimate blog?

That's really weird.

photi said...

Being a human blogger with the power to alter reality to my will, I sort-of shortened their definition to make my jokey point. Here's the whole paragraph...

"As with many powerful tools, blogging services can be both used and abused. The ease of creating and updating webpages with Blogger has made it particularly prone to a form of behavior known as link spamming. Blogs engaged in this behavior are called spam blogs, and can be recognized by their irrelevant, repetitive, or nonsensical text, along with a large number of links, usually all pointing to a single site."

I know I point to certain sites frequently, like FishStripes, or David Pinto's, or the newspapers. But obviously I don't always link to one single site like they're suggesting.

Anyway, the result was that they were forcing me to type in a gibberish word to prove that I'm human enough to make posts.

Funny, I get a lot of spam e-mail with words in the subject lines that are a lot like the ones Blogger was forcing me to type out to make my non-spam posts. Here are some actuals: "qrtxwwca", "aqqqwudd", "rhrudaij".

Now, though, at this millisecond everything is okay, as I signalled one of their robots to intercept a human, who has determined that 'Fish Chunks' seems to be beyond the capabilities of automated software, and is therefore as human as you or I, I think.

-Photi, who's typing 'utuvhtg' to post this comment.