Thursday, July 21, 2005

Happy Yapping Leiter

Al searches his skull to explain his Florida experience...

"DN: You're aware of what your numbers were in Florida (3-7, 6.64). If you were Marlins GM Larry Beinfest, what would you have done with you?

"AL: Give me a big hug and kiss. No, I imagine the way I was pitching I was certainly not deserving as a starter, but the decision on their part to release me was premature. If I were Larry I think I would have put me in the 'pen to see if it would work out. I don't know what was wrong - of course if I knew why I would have turned it around. But it's like the way I started in 1999 with the Mets, I started like 3-6 or 3-7 with a similar ERA. Then I had that game, Sunday night against the Yankees on ESPN, and I pitched well against Roger (Clemens) and it turned my season around. I think it was a bit premature to release me.

"DN: So why did they release you?

"AL: I don't know. I did not receive any sort of indication from (pitching coach) Mark Wiley or (manager) Jack McKeon. I think they were the baseball people behind the decision. I definitely was not helping that team win, but to release me.... I don't see how I was the sole problem. I was a problem, but not the sole problem....

"DN: Where are you going to live?

"AL: Our place in the city. We still have it. It's been vacant.

"DN: What about when your career is over? New Jersey or Florida?

"AL: Florida." (NYDailyNews)

EXTRA: Guess who solved all of Leiter's problems?

"Gary Sheffield gave him a helpful word about tipping his cut fastball. Sheffield told Leiter to make sure he came over the top with his delivery, rather than throwing from the side, since that allowed Sheffield to see the ball sooner when he was facing Leiter." (NYDailyNews)

No comments: